Moving to the big city is in every young person’s mind. But that’s not the only population which desires to move to a metropolis. Given that there are so many things to consider regarding the big city relocation, and primarily the budget you need for that, we decided to provide you with a few tips on the estimated cost of moving to the big city. And not only connected to the very relocation, but also to different things before and after the move. Before you choose your next residence, make sure you calculate those costs properly and check if your moving budget fits them. Never rush into any decision. Especially not into moving to a big city, because it could turn out to be a disaster. In particular, take this matter seriously when moving with a family.
How to properly calculate the estimated cost of moving to the big city?
The most common things people calculate is the cost of the very relocation. So when moving to NYC, the most of you search for a New York City moving quote. It’s an important part of the overall costs. But not the only one. When you want to have an estimated cost of moving to the big city, you must think about everything. Starting with the costs you’ll have before the relocation, to those you might have after you move. You’ll need the money for all of it, so why would you calculate only the cost of moving? The cost of the move is everything you’ll have to pay for more than you currently pay. So here are all the costs you should take into account:
The costs prior to the relocation
How much does it cost to pack your boxes by yourself? Or are you thinking of hiring the movers to do it? Either way, you shall have some costs even before your moving day comes. Here are two options:
Packing by yourself:
If packing by yourself, you shall need to collect the packing supplies and material. Do you have something you could use? Here are some of the things you shall need: the moving boxes, the blankets, the packing material, the scissors, the packing paper, the labels, the markers etc. Now, you can collect some of these items for free. For example, you can find the moving boxes for free, or at a very low cost. The other items, you might be forced to borrow or buy. Calculate the cost of everything you shall need. And check if you have enough time to pack by yourself. It will take time, perhaps up to several days.
Hiring the company to pack your belongings
If you hire the packers and movers to do the job, you shall have an additional fee probably, given that the packing and unpacking come as an additional, not basic service of moving. Also, you could rent or buy the packing materials and supplies from your movers, so do the calculation and see what option fits you the best. One thing is for sure, the packing will influence the estimated cost of moving to the big city. you certainly can’t do it for free. Even those companies offering to pack you at no cost have probably included the price for it in the overall cost of your relocation.
Another cost is the cost of cleaning your home. You can also do it yourself or hire a cleaning company. Again, do the calculation of what you need to collect to do the job properly vs the cost of hiring professional help. When moving your home to a metropolis such as the Big Apple, saving every dollar is important. Also, think about the time, because you’ll probably lack it in the end.
The estimated costs of moving to the big city- the moving company:
Hiring the moving company
The part of the estimated cost of moving to the big city the most of you shall think of the moment you decide that you’re moving. We suggest you do this in several steps:
- Collect the reliable moving companies in New York City. Talk to your friends and your acquaintances. They should be able to recommend you at least a couple of movers. We recommend you consider Big Apple Movers. Our followers say that they are one of the most reliable companies in all of New York.
- Check the background of each company- See whether or not they own a license, or if there was some kind of a moving fraud connected to them. Never choose an unreliable or an unlicensed company.
- The quality matters very much. Compare the companies and decide what are the best of them regarding the service quality. The low-quality movers could be even worse than the moving scams.
- Compare the prices. After you left with only quality and reliable moving companies, pick the one offering the most at the most affordable price. This is probably the most important component of the estimated cost of moving to the big city.
Never save on the moving insurance, you never know what could happen. The moving insurance covers the costs you might be exposed to due to some trouble that might appear due to nobody’s fault.
The costs after you relocate to the big city:
Potential costs of your future home repairs- Don’t underestimate this matter. You might have some serious issues after you relocate, and it’s not that easy to find another home in a big city in a short note.
- Transportation costs- Shall you live near your job/school, or do you need to travel to work? If you choose to live near your work, the cost of transportation shall be lower, but the rent will be more expensive. Calculate what fits you the best.
- The overall cost of living in a big city- It’s quite costly to live in a metropolis. New York City is an expensive city, make sure you understand it fully before it slaps your face. This influences the estimated cost of moving to the big city very much. You’ll need a lot of money to live comfortably in New York.