Knowing how to negotiate will help you the better price for a service you need. When moving, there are so many things to do and one of them is to hire a moving company. To negotiate with movers, you should first learn how to do it, and what to say, how to act. Having a small guide may help you get what you want from a moving company.
Learn how to negotiate with movers
Moving is not cheap – it is not a secret, but luckily there are some ways that can help you have more affordable relocation to your new home. The average price for a local relocation is around $2,000, but when moving long-distance, the price is higher (the average price is $4,300). Moving costs depend on many different factors, but 2 main factors are the size and weight of your items and the distance between your home and a new home.
By hiring a moving company, your relocation will be less stressful, faster, and easier, but it costs. But, moving company prices are not set in stone and there are some ways how to save money on retirement relocation or if you are moving with kids, or moving for a job.
First, check the company and don’t get scammed
Before hiring any moving company, you must check their reliability. Check their license, insurance, experience, and services they offer. Avoid hiring scammers because they will make moving a nightmare. Make sure to:
- Verify the company’s license number with FMCSA, BBB, and AMSA – these are all organizations that have a database or licensed movers.
- Contact FMCSA to check the companies’ complaint histories and also read online moving reviews on Yelp and other social media profiles before you start to negotiate with movers.
- Talk to the company’s workers and see for how long they are in this business and check the company’s experience.
One of the websites to visit, in order to hire a reliable mover in the USA, is superiormovinginc.com. Spend some time researching, it is essential.
Compare different moving estimates
Contact a few moving companies in your area, don’t hire the first one you will find. Especially don’t hire a company that offers a very low price (it is one of the red flags). To make sure you plan all your expenses, separate about 3 moving companies, and contact all of them to ask about their services and prices. This way, not only that you will get the best price, but also, you will hire a top-rated moving company.
- What services a moving company offer to clients – do they have everything that you need? Besides transportation services, a moving company can offer packing services and storage services too. And also, keep in mind that additional services mean more money, but charges for additional services are negotiable in most cases.
- What about packing services? Who will take care of it – your or your moving company? If you have special items to pack such as piano, a hot tub, pool table, guns, it is recommended to leave it to professionals. But, if you want to save money, you can pack clothing, kitchen, bathroom, etc. by yourself. Compare services moving company offer and then choose the best option for you.
- Get an in-home moving estimate for a couple of movers and compare their bids. This way you will get accurate moving costs and you will know Howe much money to separate for transportation. Calculate cross country relocation costs or local moving costs with help from professionals.
Use your negotiating skills
Not it is the best time to practice your negotiating skills – it is your secret “weapon”. After you have received moving quotes from moving companies, plan your negotiating strategy. To negotiate with movers you need to be self-confident and to know what you want – what services and how much money can you spend. Every reliable company will rather lower down the price a little bit than lose clients. With some simple tips, you will move this year in your price range.
- Ask for discounts, especially if you are a veteran or a student because many companies have discounts for these groups. Ask if there are ongoing promotions or some special offers.
- Offer flexibility when it comes to moving date. Moving can be cheaper when it is not a season or if it is not a weekend. If you are able to reschedule your move, then do it.
- Companies’ rates are fixed but you can save money on extra services – they are negotiable.
- Ask movers to beat or to offer you the same bid as another moving company. Moving companies are competition, so if you really want to hire a moving company you have chosen but the price is a little bit higher, ask them to match the competitors’ prices.
- Be persistent and don’t give up, not every company will offer to help you, but a reliable company, will.
Tips on how to cut moving expenses and save money on moving
Besides negotiating with a moving company, there are more tips on how you can save money. Cutting moving costs is not impossible or hard, you just need a simple guide.
- Don’t pack and move all your items because moving costs are higher when you have more items to move. So, lighten the load and move only things you need and use.
- Sell or donate items you don’t need.
- Book a moving company ASAP because you may get a better deal for your relocation.
- Pack items by yourself and get moving boxes for free in supermarkets, local shops, etc.
- Ask friends to help you with packing, moving, watching your kids (or pets) on a moving day.
As you can see, it is not hard to negotiate with movers, in order to save money on moving. After all, you will need money after moving too for a new home, documents, furnishing, bills, etc. Try these tricks and you have nothing to lose.