If you have rented a storage unit, know how to keep it organized. You may hear this often, but why keeping your storage unit organized is important?
How it may help you?
There are a couple of ways for that:
- You will not look for an item for too long. You will exactly know where it is. Organized storage unit will save you time.
- The rent depend on the size of a storage unit. When you have an organized storage, you will be able to put more items inside.
- Items won’t be damaged if they are packed properly. If you just throw items, they will break, or if you don’t cover everthing, dust can also make some damages.
If you are renting a storage unit for the first time, and you are still considering this option, you should know that there are also different reasons for renting a storage unit. But, no matter what the reason is, a good organization will save you time and money.
Guide to keeping your storage unit organized
Now, when you know how keeping your storage unit organized may help you, you should also know how to organize it properly. Having a simple guide will make this process easier and faster. Here are some steps to follow.
- Create an inventory list is you are placing a lot of items in your storage unit. After a couple of month, you will forget what is inside. Also, for advanced organization, you can map where your belongings are located.
- Use clear, plastic storage bins instead of cardboard boxes. This way, you will see exactly what is in the box. They worth the extra few bucks.
- Disassemble your furniture for storage and storage items upright. This will maximize space and it will open up more floor space for other items. Keeping your storage unit organized does not mean you need to spend more money. Some tricks are free, just like this one.
- Store large, heavy items on the bottom towards the back and put items you need more frequently in the front.
- Add shelves on the walls and don’t put everything on the floor. Try to keep floors clean, so you can walk around the storage unit easily.
- Label all boxes. On the top and on one side of the box. Use black and thick marker you can see easily.
You’ll love the extra space!
As you can see keeping your storage unit organized is not hard, or expensive, but it helps a lot. If it all seems too complicated for you, there is always an option to hire a professional organizer. You will pay more, but you don’t have to deal with cleaning and decluttering.