You are ready to move but now you face the difficult decision of hiring the right moving company in NYC. There are a lot of moving companies in the New York City area to choose from. But which company is the right choice for you?
How to find the right moving company in NYC?
Whether you are moving to Long Island City, Sunnyside or you just want to move to Astoria without any trouble there are steps you should take. These steps will make it easier for you to choose the right moving company in NYC.
When selecting a moving company the best starting point is to gather recommendations from your family, friends, and coworkers. Other than the information they can give you about their experience, you can get a rough estimate of how much your move may cost. You should look up the different companies advertised online and find the best moving companies based on their online reviews. The companies with the best and most consistent reviews are the place to start. When you decide on a list of five potential moving companies be sure to cross-check them with the Better Business Bureau.
If you want your belongings to be fully protected, you have to understand the different levels of protection available. There are different coverage options for your belongings. At the same time there are two different levels of liability that the right moving company in NYC can offer:
- Full value protection – a moving company can choose to either:
- restore damaged items to their original condition or pay the cost of repairs
- replace damaged items or cover the costs of replacement
- Alternative level of liability – this is a free option but it provides only a minimal level of protection. The moving company accepts liability of 60 cents per pound weight for an item. You must sign an agreement for this level of liability on your lading.
You will also need a certificate of insurance. Many New York City buildings will not allow movers to enter them without one. Get in contact with the building manager. When you find out what the requirements are, you can check whether your moving company can provide everything that is needed.
Estimates and price quotes
When you are in the process of finding the right moving company in NYC you should get more than one estimate of the costs of your move. You can ask for quotes over the phone but getting them in writing is a better idea. Always ask if their price quotes are binding or non-binding. When a moving company gives you a binding price quote without an inventory of your belongings or an on-site estimation, its a sign of trouble. Reputable moving companies like ipsnycmovers.com will send an estimator to your place or they will ask you to create an inventory online. This way a moving company can get to know your needs or learn about any items that may need special handling.
It’s important for a moving company to come and make an estimation or to ask you to create an online inventory. The moving company needs to be made aware of any particular circumstances that might complicate or make the move more difficult. Be sure to ask your movers anything you want to know. Ask them for any additional pricing or whether they can handle your items that require special care. Get everything out in the open so you won’t be surprised by additional fees. Always get more than one estimate before you choose reputable NYC movers.
Many things need to be arranged. Things such as insurance documents, fees, documentation for crossing state lines and any additional services you might require. You should have all of these documents in writing. The right moving company in NYC will not see this as a problem. If a company refuses to sign a contract where all of this is specified, it is a sign that you should look for a different company.
Your needs are important
You should hire a New York moving company that can cover all your needs. If you need packing services, transport, storage units or any other special services it is always better to have one company that does it all. The moving company that you hire must have the necessary equipment and manpower for your move. You should definitely let professionals take care of delicate art pieces, antique furniture or musical instruments if you have any rare or unique items. So, don’t settle for just any moving company, hire the company that is best for you.
When you have created a list of five reputable companies, you should check whether they are legitimate. Some companies will try to scam you, so you should research how to avoid fraudulent moving companies. Here is a list of things you should check first before hiring the right moving company in NYC:
- Verify the address, office and phone number – a moving company must have a registered office, corporate e-mail, and working phone number.
- Find out if a moving company is licensed by the State Department of Transportation (for relocations within New York) and by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (for relocation between New York and another state) – unlicensed movers may be cheaper but licensed movers must meet an array of standards which are there to protect the customer. Bear this in mind when hiring the right moving company in NYC.
- Check out the moving company – you can contact the New York State Department of Transportation at 1-800-786-5368. The Better Business Bureau can be contacted by calling 212-533-6200 or 1-800-828-5000.
- Ask for a copy of a document titled “Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” which was created by the U.S. Department of Transportation – this booklet is an official rulebook for interstate movers and moving companies are required to provide it by law.
Final words on hiring the right moving company in NYC
Moving can be very hard and stressful. Don’t let the fear of moving prevent you from doing the best thing for you. Remember that while prices are important other factors are worth considering. Hiring the right moving company in NYC will ensure you have a stress-free moving day.